Monday, March 25, 2019

The Samaritan Story: The Atonement

"And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him" (Luke 10:34).

We recognize Him as our Savior from the Messianic prophecy in Isaiah: "He hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted" (Isaiah 61:1). The healing balm is oil, pressed from the great oil press of Gethsemane--a name originating from two Hebrew words, gath (meaning a press) and shemen (meaning oil). The wine is a sacramental offering of His blood.

And He set him on "his own beast," representing His mortal body in Gethsemane and on the cross. I believe that one by one, each of us entered through the veil of His flesh (see Hebrews 10:20) as He "carried our sorrows" (Isaiah 53:4).

Then He brought the man to an inn, His Church, where he would get needed care.


PERSONAL APPLICATION:  My Savior Jesus Christ knows the weakness of my flesh. As a recovering alcoholic and addict, His grace has carried me through rough times and with His help I can overcome all things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment